The NFL Draft is one of my favorite sports holidays. Not because the future of the league depends on who the teams select, but because of the fashion.
College kids can be aesthetically creative on a regular day—yet, during the NFL Draft, everyone is a dandy. (Except for that one time when Geno Smith embarrassed himself in front of America) Every year, there are knee-length suit coats, flamboyant shoes, jackets with 67 buttons and reflective sunglasses. There were some surprise accoutrements and one person who stole the show who hasn’t even been drafted yet.
Here are the 10 best dressed players from the first round of the 2018 NFL Draft.
10. Bradley Chubb, Denver Broncos
The No. 5 pick wore a jacket that would make Thanos proud. It had celestial lining–enough said.
9. Vita Vea, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
The 12th pick, Tevita (Vita) Tuliʻakiʻono Tuipulotu Mosese Vaʻhae Fehoko Faletau Vea, wore a velvet jacket blessed with a beautiful yellow, white and green Lei.
8. Josh Allen, Buffalo BillsThe Velveteen Dream. (Photo by Rich Graessle/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images)
Who knew they had velvet blazers in Wyoming? The 7th pick did. The quarterback was definitely cleaner than his Twitter account.
7. Saquon Barkley, New York GiantsSay yes to Saquon. (Source: USA Today)
A classic tuxedo with maroon and black undertones, the second pick of the night looked like a black James Bond.
6. Minkah Fitzpatrick, Miami Dolphins
The 11th pick looked like he’d just stepped out of an Easter Sunday service. Fitzpatrick rocked a cream, double-breasted suit with gold buttons and a black shirt and tie. Open casket sharp is what the old folks call it.
5. Rashaan Evans, Tennessee TitansFlamed up. (Photo by Rich Graessle/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images)
The No. 23 pick arrived looking like a black uncle on his 6th marriage. He wore a red suit, a white shirt open down to the taco meat on the chest, and sunglasses…at night time.
4. Derwin James, LA ChargersFestooned. (Source: Jerome Miron-USA TODAY Sports)
The No. 17 pick sported a sparkling red (wine) wide lapel tux jacket with black slacks and a silky black shirt, festooned with a chain. As my grandmother would say, “you couldn’t tell him nothin.”
3. Jaire Alexander, Green Bay PackersBless up, Jaire. (Photo by Rich Graessle/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images)
The No. 18 pick wore a classic red three-piece tux rounded out by leopard print ‘Coming To America’ slippers, socks were unnecessary.
2. Lamar Jackson, Baltimore RavensMoney In The Bank. (Source: Getty Images)
The (criminally undervalued) last pick of the night took the song ‘Gucci Gang’ to heart. He wore a leprechaun green Gucci suit with a Gucci belt, Gucci shoes and, I’m sure, Gucci draws.
1. James Daniels, Still Undrafted
The Iowa Center opted to stay at home in Warren, Ohio and watch the draft in black and white checkered sleep wear with a red, silk smoking jacket. Really, he won the night.
Lawrence Ware is a philosopher of race at his day job and a curator of dopeness when time allows. Words in The New York Times, Slate Magazine, The Root and others. Email him at email@example.com. He is the kind of Steelers fan that enjoys watching the Cowboys lose.