I don’t get a chance to do this often, but I will do it now. Allow me as I humble brag about our team.
Over the course of running this website, the scribes of TSFJ have done some phenomenal work. Some examples:
- We voluntarily went to Alcatraz and hung out with Blake Griffin
- We went pedal-to-pedal with Chris Paul and Steph Curry
- We World Basketball Festival’d Nike style in Chicago
- We went 1-on-1 with an elite UFC fighter
- We went joga bonito with Steve Nash in NYC
- We even took over the nation’s capital and held a summit in true TSFJ style
In short, this team of ours does phenomenal work, and we’re only scratching the surface. This summer, we’re looking for a few good bloggers and writers to join the team as we enter the next phase of building up our sports and culture publication that is The Sports Fan Journal. Want to join us in our world takeover? Read below for more.
We’re looking for writers interested in covering the following:
- College Football
- College Basketball
- Sneakers, Uniforms and Style in Sports
- Boxing, MMA
- Business of Sports
- Advanced Analytics (Can you make big data fun and easy to understand?)
- Sports Video Games
- Sports Media
Who were looking for to join the team:
- Writers with a witty, conversational tone and distinct voice/style
- Familiarity with HTML and image editing
- Bloggers with the ability to update multiple times per day/week. We don’t sleep.
- An understanding of RSS feeds, Twitter, Google Alerts, etc.
- People with intellectual curiosity: Do you have interest and/or knowledge of sports from different eras and perspectives; understanding history, milestones, fan bases, etc.
- Do you self-edit? Fact-check? Follow existing formatting guidelines, style and procedures?
- For Bloggers: The ability to contribute with several posts (5+) per week with a focus on updates, top plays, current events, etc..
- For Writers: The ability to contribute columns, interviews, op-eds, longforms, and think pieces one to three times a week
- People with active accounts on Facebook and Twitter
Who we aren’t interested in for our team:
- AP-style dry journalism
- Long-form entries that take days to complete
- Long-windedness and/or blathering
- Writers with ONLY a penchant for reflection and/or nostalgic posts. We’re looking for the right now
- Someone lacking self-discipline or motivation
To get the call, shoot me an email at ed AT edthesportsfan DOT com. Be sure to include 1-2 written samples that can be published immediately. Links to these samples are preferred but attachments are acceptable. This will give our editors a chance to review your perspective on things in a current light and if we publish it, then it gives our readers a tease for more.
Eddie Maisonet is the founder and editor emeritus of The Sports Fan Journal. Currently, he serves as an associate editor for ESPN.com. He is an unabashed Russell Westbrook and Barry Switzer apologist, owns over 100 fitteds and snapbacks, and lives by Reggie Jackson’s famous quote, “I am the straw that stirs the drink.”