Friend of the program and ESPN voice Bomani Jones regularly calls Spencer Hall of SB Nation the best college football writer on the planet and it’s hard to debate otherwise. Few people have a better pulse on the state of the college football like Spencer, and his knowledge isn’t reserved for life in between the lines. From understanding why Butch Jones doesn’t have the right accent to coach at Tennessee to preaching the gospel of all things Chris Leak, the man is a beacon of knowledge and wizardry of all things football in college. Go check out SB Nation’s recent review on the 25 best college football games since 2000 by Jason Kirk, because it’s awesome.
Spencer was gracious enough to take a few minutes to participate in our recurring questionnaire challenge, The Tens.
1. What is your favorite jersey number of all-time?
Probably #1. That’s Percy Harvin, Reggie Nelson and Tony George’s number at Florida. Spiritually I’m a #0, but objectively, I’ve loved more players with #1 on their backs than anyone else consistently. Also, I think Chris Bosh shouldn’t have worn #1, he feels spiritually more of a #00.
2. Who is your favorite follow on social media?
@dril. I don’t think there’s another social media account in the world to be honest.
3. In an alternate world, you’re a Major League baseball player, what is your walk-up/entrance music?
My walk up music is always “Here You Come Again” by Dolly Parton.
4. We have a golden ticket to get you on any game show ever made. What show is it and would you win?
Jeopardy. I would wreck fucking shop.
5. You get one sneaker to wear for the rest of your life, what is it?
None, I’d go barefoot everywhere if I could because I genuinely hate wearing shoes. I am also from Tennessee. These may be related.
6. What profession other than your own would you like to attempt?
I’d like to work with a search and rescue team as an excuse to work out a lot, not pay attention to the internet, and hang out with dogs for money.
7. What’s the one sports movie you will always watch when it comes on?
I will watch Goon starring Seann William Scott if it comes on at 3 a.m. and I am sound asleep. I will also wake up to watch Goon, because it is the best sports movie ever made.
8. What are you currently binge-watching or what is your must-see TV program right now?
I just got done with GLOW (Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling starring Allison Brie). Everyone is fantastic, but goddamn Marc Maron has been waiting his whole life to play that role.
9. Is putting pineapple on your pizza the greatest or the worst thing in the world?
It’s fine. That may be the most controversial opinion of all, but it’s fine. Pizza’s kind of a garbage food anyway, a flap of glue people dump salads on and cover with cheese. My food opinions are garbage, but at least I know it.
10. If Steve Spurrier is coming over your house for dinner, what would you serve?
I’m cooking hamburgers outdoors so he can feel comfortable taking his shirt and shoes off. Again: He’s from Tennessee, too.
How can we help Spencer Hall better #ShockTheWorld?
I suggest you read my good friend Jon Bois’ epic 17776 on the future of college football, because it is the best thing the internet will generate for about ten years.
Eddie Maisonet is the founder and editor emeritus of The Sports Fan Journal. Currently, he serves as an associate editor for ESPN.com. He is an unabashed Russell Westbrook and Barry Switzer apologist, owns over 100 fitteds and snapbacks, and lives by Reggie Jackson’s famous quote, “I am the straw that stirs the drink.”