After a shaky first quarter which saw our beloved American hoopers go down by nine points to a game Spain squad, Team USA surged ahead to a lead in the second quarter and never looked back in a 100-78 victory in Barcelona’s beautiful Palau Saint Jordi arena.
Couple of points, quickly.
- Serge Ibaka and Pau Gasol went a combined 14-19 shooting from the floor. That’s a 74% shooting percentage. Yikes.
- Marc Gasol didn’t play at all.
- Tyson Chandler could have fouled out in the first half if Coach Mike Krzyzewski didn’t pull him out the game. The Knicks center officially fouled out with eight minutes remaining in the contest.
- Don’t we all wish Ricky Rubio was healthy? Collective 🙁 face.
- That’s the greatest shooting performance I’ve ever seen from Carmelo Anthony in ages. 38% chance he never does that again.
Me thinks Spain held back a ton in this game (along with Argentina), and maybe Coach K’s got some things up his sleeve, but…as basketball fans, we need a competitive game or two; you know…we need our fix. *scratches neck nervously*
Enjoy your pertinent reading material for Wednesday, and get ready for #theUCshow tonight at 9PM Eastern. Don’t miss it.
Nardwuar: Nardwuar vs. DJ Premier
BDL: Amar’e Stoudemire will pay Hakeem Olajuwon $100K for 2 weeks of tutelage
FOX Deportes: Serge Ibaka and Luis Scola Love Pushing and Shoving Each Other
Gizmodo: Gummy Bear Ice Cubes Promise to Make Any Drink Infinitely More Fun
Harvard Business Review: Ten Ways to Inhibit Innovation
Kissing Suzy Kolber: Five More Hard Truths About Training Camp
Life and Times: Inside Rolls-Royce’s Goodwood HQ
National Post: Usain Bolt confident he will return to form for Olympics
Pro Football Talk: Chad Johnson predicts a “monster season” for himself
Eddie Maisonet is the founder and editor emeritus of The Sports Fan Journal. Currently, he serves as an associate editor for ESPN.com. He is an unabashed Russell Westbrook and Barry Switzer apologist, owns over 100 fitteds and snapbacks, and lives by Reggie Jackson’s famous quote, “I am the straw that stirs the drink.”