Like we mentioned at the start of this article, the NY lottery is the third-oldest in the US, founded back in 1967. The lottery New York has even longer history as lottery tickets were sold in the state before the modern New York lottery laws came into play. However, it was in the modern age that things really started going off.
The modern lottery was established through the referendum in 1966, with 60 percent of people voting in favor of the lottery. The first big winner in New York was one Lou Eisenberg who took home USD 5,000,000 back in 1981, which was a huge amount of money at the time. He wasn’t given the lump sum payment option available to modern winners, though. In 2009, the lottery NYC reached agreements with Mega Millions and Powerball and the sale of tickets for both multi-state drawings started on January 31, 2010.
When it comes to multi-state games, the NY lottery USA offers three major drawings, namely Powerball, Mega Millions, and Cash4Life. All three of these are huge lotteries played by millions of Americans every week. Hence, it is no surprise these also offer huge jackpots that often reach a nine-figure territory.
- Cash4Life is a special type of lottery offering a chance at two main prizes. A winner gets to receive USD 1,000 every day for the rest of their life. To get this jackpot, you’ll need to match all five numbers and the Cash Ball. If you match all five numbers but miss out on the Cash Ball, you’ll still get USD 1,000 every week for the entire life.
Cash4Life tickets are sold at USD 2 apiece and drawings are held two times a week, on Mondays and Thursdays. Odds of winning the main jackpot stand at approximately 1 in 21.8 million, while the second prize has odds of around 1 in 7.3 million. Overall, your chances of winning anything with this NYlottery NY are 1 in 8.
- Powerball is one of those lotteries that need no introduction whatsoever. Famous in the US and beyond, this biweekly draw offers huge, life-changing prizes, with the jackpot starting at USD 40,000,000. Tickets are available for USD 2 and draws take place on Wednesdays and Saturdays.
To win the main jackpot, players need to correctly guess all five numbers and the Power Ball number. Odds of this happening are 1 in 292 million, so it is definitely a long shot. At the same time, prizes are so huge here that it is still well worth chasing after.
- Similar to Powerball, Mega Millions is another huge lottery with the jackpot starting at USD 40 million and growing with every drawing without the jackpot winner. Tickets are sold at USD 2 a pop and the odds of winning the jackpot are approximately 1 in 302,000,000.
Mega Millions draws are also held two times a week, on Tuesdays and Fridays. Players have an option to purchase a Megaplier for each of their plays (for USD 1), which can multiply all of their non-jackpot prizes by up to five times. To win the jackpot, you’ll need to guess five balls and the Mega Ball.
NY Lottery: New York Lotto
Available only to players in the state, New York lotto is a special New York lottery for Wednesday and Saturday. Players need to pick six numbers out of 59 in total and you can play two panels for the price of USD 1. The maximum number of games on a slip is 10 and this will cost you USD 5. Of course, you can buy as many slips as you like, increasing your chances of becoming the next New York lotto jackpot winner.
You’ll need to correctly guess at least numbers to get any kind of a prize. To win the jackpot, you’ll need to guess all six numbers correctly and your odds of winning the NY lotto jackpot are about 1 in 22.5 million. Overall New York lotto odds are 1 in 46. You can watch the New York lotto drawing at a number of TV stations and you can use the lottery site to check if your numbers were drawn.
The New York Lottery site gives you access to plenty of tools that can work wonders in enjoying some group play. For example, there’s a cool Group Play subscription offer that gives you a much easier way to organize play for up to 25 people at a time. The Group Play option is currently available for LOTTO, Mega Millions and Cash4Life and it’s an essential way of tilting the odds of winning in your favor.
On top of all these big draws, there are also various smaller drawings as well as all sorts of lottery scratchers offered by the NY state lottery. These are ideal for players looking for some thrill but not necessarily for huge, multi-million wins. Naturally, due to smaller prizes, these games also offer better odds of winning as well.
- Take 5 draws take place every day and tickets are sold at USD 1 a game. You need to pick five numbers out of 39. If you guess all five correctly, you will win the main jackpot. Odds of this happening are about 1 in 575,000.
- Numbers is a game similar to Pick 3-style games offered by other state lotteries. Players need to correctly guess three numbers that are drawn and to, to win the jackpot, they also need to guess the correct order in which they are drawn. You can play from USD 0.50 a play and the jackpot pays 500 times the stake.
- Win 4 is a similar game where players try to correctly guess four numbers. Draws take place two times a day as well and the jackpot pays 5,000 times the stake. You can play at either USD 0.50 or USD 1 a pick.
- Quick Draw is a keno-style game with drawings taking place every four minutes. Players get to choose between the range of games, from 1-Spot to 10-Spot games. You can play anywhere from USD 1 to USD 10 a draw. The maximum jackpot when playing USD 1 is USD 100,000.
The lottery in New York city also offers a great range of scratch cards, ranging from USD 1 apiece to USD 30. If you’re looking for scratchers with huge jackpots, check out the USD 30 $10,000,000 Colossal Cash, offering the main jackpot of USD 10 million. Odds of winning the main prize are about 1 in 3.2 million.
We were pleased to see that the NY Lottery site has games with a broad variety of wagering limits and prizes. For example, you could play some scratch-off games for as little as a dollar while the likes of Colossal Cash could be played from $30 at a time. All of which means that you should feel comfortable playing however you like at the New York Lottery site.
There is almost no limit as to what lottery draws and games you can participate in New York. While the online segment still needs some work, you can easily get all your tickets in retail stores and you can definitely subscribe for your favorite numbers for major draws online. So, there is no reason whatsoever to miss out on any opportunities. Get involved and start playing lottery New York - hey you never know!